Access Code: Varied Practice Model
Access Code, driven by the Varied Practice Model, is a web-based, supplementary curriculum for struggling readers in Grades 2 and above to acquire/strengthen, apply, and generalize phonics rules for improved fluency and comprehension.
Who can it help?
As many as 15-20% of elementary and middle school students struggle with reading because of poor word recognition skills. These students:
What are the benefits?
- Have difficulty breaking words into syllables
- Cannot apply/generalize phonics rules to connected text
- Struggle with comprehension
- Have a particular challenge with vowels
- Have not responded to other intervention programs and need remediation year after year
- Varied Practice has been shown to increase a learner's ability to apply/generalize skills and Access Code is the only program that uses this approach.
- Access Code helps ensure that students understand how vowels and syllables work in words.
- Truly individualized instruction for each student.
- Does not require that a teacher discard other approaches and programs. Rather, Access Code can help ensure that students get maximum benefit from those other programs.
Poems, Passages and Extension Activities